The Data Explosion – This is Big!
The growth of the internet, decreasing costs of storage and the flexibility of the Cloud has fueled an information explosion across the digital universe. Commonly referred to as ‘Big Data’ the sheer volume, velocity and variety of both structured and unstructured information threatens to overwhelm an enterprise’s ability to control it: information cannot be located quickly or reliably and businesses are caught in a cycle of re-invention.
“Digital Data will flood the planet – and help us understand it better” (The Economist, 2011)
[Video Source: YouTube]
How Does this Affect Your Business?
Although ‘Big Data’ or ‘Big Information is a potential re-use opportunity, the downside is that this information becomes harder to find and maintain: the business becomes less agile and choked by a lack of information. Regardless of your industry, the information explosion is here and its effects are unavoidable.
Some Familiar Themes:
- How do we connect our information together?
- How to manage multiple un-integrated repositories of documents?
- Our users don’t know how to search or what to search for.
- Our user communities are dynamic and increasingly transient.
- Documents and versions known to exist cannot be found.
- Increasing need for records management.
- Existing systems are strained by the increasing demand on search.
- How do I extract value from all this information I am accumulating?
What is Information Governance?
At ECS we use the term Information Governance to describe how enterprises take responsibility for their information lifecycles. With roots in Record Management, information governance incorporates solutions for effective Information Use (creation, consumption, discovery etc), Privacy & Security, Organisation (people, procedures & processes etc) and Information Modelling (Ontologies).
Due to the increasing rate at which information is generated, organisations are under increasing pressure to manage and control access to information. Additionally, legal compliance issues complicate the task. Effective information governance requires ongoing feedback and dynamic control across the organisation to ensure users find information and continually gain knowledge as the Information explosion gathers pace.
A Solution. . .
“Maximise the value of your information whilst minimising risk and cost”
ECS can define and implement Information Governance within your organisation.
- Sentiment analysis of all content
- Tagging and enrichment of new and existing content
- Compliance with legislation and regulation
- Ability to find information efficiently
- Ability to manage the information lifecycle
- Protection against information breaches
- Establishment of best practice
The result is to improve access to your business information through the use of improved processes and controls, a comprehensive corporate information model, intelligent document classification, robust search architecture and intuitive user experiences.
Get in touch to discuss your information governance needs and hear our proposition.
Your ROI: Organisation, Control and Maintenance
Information Governance (IG) will allow you to organise, control and maintain all your enterprise information and ensure your knowledge workers find relevant content quickly and efficiently leaving more time for innovation.
With increasing pressure on IT departments to reduce costs, the ECS IG solution will provide cost savings in the following ways:
- Reduced document loss and increased re-use
- Reduced time spent searching
- Change enablement – ability to re-classify and enrich
- Reduced need for system migration
- Streamline project hand-back and close-out
- Reduced legal compliance risk
- Reduced load on existing systems
- Reduced training costs
Click image to see a larger version